Perk Up with an All-Natural Energy Boost
Step away from the coffee pot. There are other ways to find energy that don’t involve heavy helpings of cream and sugar.
Adjusting to a new diet and way of life during a medical weight loss program takes a lot of motivation and energy. In Los Angeles, while you can find motivation through the support and advice of your weight loss doctor, energy can be a bit of a tougher sell—especially after you swear off the milkshake imposter frappes and heavy-whip lattes that always seemed to do the trick.
Avoid the excess calorie intake by finding all-natural ways to give yourself the energy boost you need to power through the day and get to the gym. Some of these tricks don’t involve eating anything at all, but instead involve simple behavioral changes that can naturally produce more energy.
Here are 5 easy ways to wake up without reaching for caffeine:
- Sit up straight: If you are slouching at your desk, then you can’t much blame your eyes for wanting to droop as well. Shift your weight and sit up straight. Sitting with correct posture will enhance blood circulation and give you a quick burst of energy.
- Soak up the sun: There is a reason we like to sleep in the dark. Sunlight naturally wakes up the body, giving you more energy to continue through your day. For an added benefit, take a quick walk outside as you get some sun. The exercise combined with the sunlight is sure to wake you up.
- Sip green tea: Unlike other popular beverages, green tea does not have any calories and is not going to dehydrate you. Green tea leaves do pack a minor amount of caffeine, but it is a fraction of the amount in a standard cup of coffee. For a lot of people, simply drinking a hot beverage out of a mug is enough to give them a small burst of energy. If you aren’t one for hot drinks, try iced green tea—just avoid the pre-bottled types that are loaded with sugar and other additives.
- Socialize: Every office has one person who is always a bottle of energy. Let their positive and energetic vibes wear off on you by striking up a conversation. You can also find an excuse to call up a high-energy friend and chat for a few minutes to wake up a bit.
- Snack on an apple: Having a healthy snack like an apple can give you a small burst of sugar and much needed energy as you feel yourself drowsing off. Apples are full of other benefits too, like vitamin C, fiber and complex carbohydrates. While apples are a healthy part of most diets, check with your weight loss doctor before munching away on these naturally sweet treats.
Finding ways to stay energized can help you stay on track with your weight loss goals. There are energy sources all around you, just find what natural source works best for you!