Prolotherapy for Pain
Prolotherapy is a form of treatment for naturally strengthening and reconstructing weakened joints and ligaments. Prolotherapy stimulates the body’s ability to heal itself with a simple injection at the site of the damaged ligament or tendon. The injected solution causes the body’s natural healing mechanisms to start laying down new tissue and regenerate the damaged area.
Prolotherapy can be used for chronic pain and conditions such as:
- Dislocated joints
- Knee pain
- Shoulder pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Disc problems in the spine
- Spider veins
- Chronic joint pain
Since prolotherapy injections stimulate the body into naturally healing itself, the results are long-term. However, more than one session of prolotherapy may be necessary to completely eliminate the problem. Each session allows the tendons and ligaments affected to become stronger and rejuvenated.
How Prolotherapy Works
For pain management, prolotherapy is a safe and effective form of long-term treatment. The procedure is simple, non-invasive and quick. Dr. Kerendian simply injects the solution directly into the affected area, and then you’re free to leave and continue with your normal routine. The solution is mostly natural, with dextrose as the main ingredient. The injections do not affect any other part of the body. You may start to feel the results after returning home or over the following few weeks. The injections are usually repeated every four weeks.
Since the injections must be administered directly to the damaged tendon or ligament, prolotherapy must be administered by a doctor who has been certified in osteopathic and regenerative medicine.
Possible Side Effects of Prolotherapy
The possibility of side effects with prolotherapy is low but could include:
- Bruising at the injection area
Benefits of Prolotherapy for Pain Management
- No medication side effects. Unlike traditional pain management treatment, prolotherapy does not require pain killers or muscle relaxants.
- Fast procedure. There is no lengthy surgery or hospital stayed required. The procedure generally takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Long-term results. Since the body is regenerating and healing the worn down or damaged areas, the results are long-lasting. Unlike the effects of medication, which simply mask the pain.
- Minimal risk. The possible side effects are low-risk and short-term.
Dr. Kerendian offers a safe and effective form of treatment with prolotherapy. If you are suffering from chronic pain due to a former or current injury or any other cause, then prolotherapy may be the right treatment option for you.